The Story Behind Davendra Bishoo

Dwayne Bravo's injury during the World Cup proved a welcome opening for the Guayana born Davendra Bishoo, as the uncapped leg spinner got called by the West Indies team.


Bishoo made his international debut in a high profile World Cup group game against England where he bowled a superb spell giving away just 34 runs in ten overs and taking three key wickets of Trott, Morgan and Luke Wright.

Talking about his inclusion in the West Indies team Bishoo told that it was his fathers dream to see him wear the colors of the West Indies.

"I always wanted to represent the West Indies and I achieved my goal. But it was more than that. It was what my father wished for," His father died when he was only eight, 17 years ago.

"When I got the news that I would be playing in the match against England, I immediately thought about my father and what he wanted for me," said Bishoo.

Bishoo also mentioned the role of his mother who encouraged him to play cricket even after his fathers death, he also talked about how he used to come back from school and played cricket in the backyard with his father. According to Bishoo his father knew that he had the talent in him to succeed as a cricketer.

"After he (my father) died it was just myself and my mother and she also encouraged me to achieve my goals. I know she is very happy and if my father was here I know he would been very happy too," the leg-spinner added.
"I remembered the times when I used to get home from school and I would spend a lot of time bowling at my father.

"He realised that I could be a good bowler and he would give me the chance to bowl and learn as much as I could. He was a great help to me and I am happy I have made him proud, even though he is not here to see me," the bowler said.

And yesterday in his very first T20 game against Pakistan Bishoo put in a man of the match performance, the leg spinner took four wickets in four over giving away just 17 runs. If he keeps working hard and remains humble this leggie can achieve great things for himself and West Indies cricket.

A bit too serious ? How about a rather funny interview from Davendra Bishoo.