When Saqlain Mushtaq hid his wife in cupboard

Former Pakistan spin wizard Saqlain Mushtaq has revealed that he hid his wife in a cupboard before the 1999 Cricket World Cup final against Australia to avoid to avoid disciplinary action.


Saqlain said that he had to hide his wife because the team management had instructed all players to send back their wives and children after the team qualified for the super sixes stage of the World Cup.

"I had just got married to Sana who is a British citizen and she was with me in the initial part of the tournament. But in the super sixes stage the management told us we needed to just focus on the cricket.

"Since I wanted to be close to her I gave her a list of the hotels where the team was to stay and she used to check in before our arrival at every hotel,"

Saqlain told that the night before the final while he was chatting with his wife in his room, team manager Dr aZafar Altaf and associate manager Masood Chisty knocked at the door to check if all the players were adhering to the curfew timings.

"Since I did not want to face any disciplinary action I told my wife to hide in the cupboard and locked the door from outside. Unfortunately her wait to come out become a long one.

"After the manager left, team coach Richard Pybus came to my room for a chat and after he left Muhammad Yousuf and Azhar Mehmood walked in. I felt sorry for my wife and was forced to ask her to come out of the cupboard leaving the players surprised,"