Commentator Edward Bevan Hit as Ball Smashes Commentary Box Window


via BBC


Cricket pundit Edward Bevan was shaken and bruised after a ball was smashed through his commentary box window.


The incident happened while Bevan was commentating for BBC Radio Wales on Glamorgan's Clydesdale Bank 40 match against Somerset in Taunton.


The ball crashed into the commentary box hitting Bevan on the back and scattering glass everywhere.

It was the third similar incident in his career - but he said he could see the funny side.

"It hit me on the back and I was quite shaken for a while," he said.

"There's a bruise there this morning - in fact I couldn't carry on.

"Dear old Steve James [Bevan's fellow commentator] carried on for about a quarter of an hour."
Bevan said he had lost the flight of the ball "for a moment".

"Steve next to me turned round and the thing came through the window," he said.

"As I turned so it wouldn't hit my face or head, it hit me in the small of the back, which wasn't nice."

Bevan said his injury could have been a lot worse if he had not turned away.

"Had I stayed where I was the consequences would have been much worse," he said.

"It's the third time it's happened now - twice in the little box we used to have in Cardiff, not the palatial building we have now, and yesterday of course, which is probably the worst commentary box in the country.